For our Wednesday night gatherings we have begun a weekly discussion surrounding the subject of IDOLATRY. For those that were unable to attend would you take some time to watch the video below and begin to answer the questions that Kyle asks of us. Don or Michelle would love to talk with you privately if you would like to work through whatever the Lord brings up that needs to be dealt with in your life. We love each one of you and are praying for the Lord's work in your life!
1. WATCH VIDEO 2. AnSWER QUESTIONS BELOW
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS | Don't skip this! In fact it would be best if you started a journal and write down the questions and your responses.
1. Was there anything in the video that raised questions in your mind or hit you in some way?
2. In the video, Kyle said that “idolatry is the root of all sins.” Do you agree?
3. What are some of the idols/gods that people struggle with in our culture today?
4. Why does God describe Himself as a jealous God in the Bible? Why is His jealousy a big deal for us as we consider our relationship with God?
5. Our worship of God is a HUGE deal because He wants a relationship with us! God knows we experience the best life when we are deeply committed to Him. Are there any other reasons why our devotion God is important?
6. Our actions (sinful or not) often reveal what's going on deep inside of our heart. Why is it that we need to deal with our “sin” at the heart level instead of simply trying to change or overcome a specific behavior? Do you think most people try to deal with their issues at the heart level or just try to quit doing whatever they know needs changed in their life?
7. In the video, Kyle suggests seven diagnostic questions for determining who or what our god or gods really are. As you read the seven questions again, what do you think about these questions as a tool for discovering our gods?
8. Take some time to consider each of theses questions. Did the questions reveal the presence of a “god” you are struggling to overcome in your life?
9. In the Bible, we read how the Israelites said they wanted to choose to serve God and God alone only to find that as time passed, they again started to worship idols. Why do you think it is hard for people to stay focused on and committed to God over the long haul? What kinds of things do you think contributes to people allowing other gods to enter into their lives?
10. Consider the following verses:
NEXT WEDNESDAY NIGHT - the GOD OF PLEASURE
ACT! Campus House | 7-8pm