1. WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW
2. TAKE THE TIME TO REALLY DIG IN AND ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELOW THE VIDEO
3. GET WITH DON, MICHELLE, OR ANOTHER BELIEVER TO WRESTLE WITH WHAT YOU LEARNED.
ONE OF THE SUBTLEST WAYS AN IDOL CAN CREEP ONTO THE THRONE OF OUR HEARTS IS BY STARTING OFF AS SOMETHING GOOD, EVEN SOMETHING GOD LEGITIMATELY GAVE US TO ENJOY.
1. In Paul's story, when did food become "bad"?
2. How can we tell when we begin allowing GOD'S good gifts to do things for us that only God can truly do?
3. Have you ever started relying too much on something that you enjoyed?
4. What did Paul Jones (in the video) ask food to do in his life?
WHERE DO YOU TURN FOR COMFORT AND PEACE, ESPECIALLY IN THE MIDST OF STRESS? (This is a huge question and often reveals the presence of a god in our lives)
5. Why do you think it is that we often get so frustrated with God we turn to these idols when he doesn't answer our prayers the way we want them answered? "God bless my plans!"
THE TURNING POINT IN PAUL'S LIFE WAS WHEN HE FINALLY QUIT TRYING TO IMPROVE HIMSELF. HE SAID HE SENSED GOD SAYING TO HIM, "FINALLY!"
6. How do you feel about that? Does God really want you to QUIT so He can start His WORK?
READ ROMANS 7:21-25 21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!
WE FORGET THAT WE CAN'T BE GOOD ENOUGH THOUGH SHEER DISCIPLINE AND EFFORT. SIN WAGES ALL OUT WAR AGAINST EVEN OUR GOOD DESIRES. WE DESPERATELY NEED TO BE RESCUED.
7. Do you have something you have been battling for awhile and now you suspect that God is waiting for you to QUIT so he can get to WORK?
Sometimes it can be really hard to believe that other people can truly change. It may be even harder to believe that we can truly experience the change we desire.
8. Do you think Paul Jones could have had such a physical transformation without a renewal of his heart?
9. Does Paul's story change your mind about that? That you too can find change?